Friday, July 7, 2017

Week of Adventure


Right from the start this week was different. It is Saturday morning, and dad had gone to the landing to get everything ready for the new week. Colin, Jody, and Brendan were chugging away cleaning cabins, and I was enjoying the time to relax and work on my blog. Everything was going smoothly, when I got a text from dad which read, “Are you there.” In typical Maddie fashion, I immediately call him and imagine the worst. Turns out it wasn’t good, but it wasn’t as bad as I imagined. On the way in, the skiff broke down in the middle of Wabaskang. No one knew he wasn’t still behind them, and I was needed to help at the portage. Now let’s be honest, when it comes to portaging boats I am probably not your best bet; arthritic, short, out of shape, little chunky, AND female, come on, I wouldn’t pick me for my team either. So, with a cabin and a half left, I grabbed my stuff, Brendan, and the little camp boat, and we set off leaving Colin and Jody to handle the camp. Imagine the surprise when my smiling face showed up to tell them they left dad behind in a broken boat and I was his replacement. Luckily for them, they were old pros are portaging, and all they needed was a little direction. Even more lucky they happened to have one of the loudest, bossiest people of all time to offer that direction, me! Everyone made it over without issue, and the first boats pulled up as Colin and Jody walked out of the last cabin. Don’t worry dad made it back eventually too.




 Man what a wonderful week. The weather may not have always been sunny and warm, but the people sure were. For the first time this year, we were delighted to have some guests that were 3 and under. The Wine Lake crew got to experience a week of wonder and awe as they were led by the children to explore outside. I especially enjoyed being able to watch the children fill with joy as they followed around turtles, and helped me chase bunnies. After two weeks, I was finally able to catch a baby bunny!





This was also a week for family. We were honored to have the 4th generation of the Hartman family staying in camp. Not only that, but many of the cousins had not seen each other for years! All of this served as the perfect opportunity to have a shore lunch, and invite the WLC crew! We were served fish, potatoes, beans, coleslaw, and cheesecake! As the little ones played, the adults had the chance to catch up. It was a beautiful day, and everyone had a wonderful time!












The Hartman’s were also overjoyed to reunite with some childhood friends! These came from back home, and from here in Canada. In a normal week, everyone enjoys getting to see the float plane bring in the minnows. This week our guests were given a special treat when relatives, and friends of the Hartman’s decided to ride in for an evening on a float plane. This thing was massive! It was an evening of laughs and memories that I know they will all cherish.










I was lucky enough to get a trip fishing with dad!






We also were privileged enough to celebrate Nichole's birthday with the family!





Even with the mayfly hatch the fishing went on. They even caught some burbot.




I just want to thank all the wonderful people we had in camp this week. You guys are a truly wonderful group, and you lightened up everyone of our hearts. To Alex Minnis, Gabriel Hartman, Owen Hartman, and Audrey Hartman, thank you so much for bringing smiles to our faces. I hope you grow to love this place as much as your parents do, and continue to visit us as you grow older. Justin, thank you for not breaking dad’s lure this year.





















Thanks for reading. I would love to hear any comments, or ideas you have for the blog. I also encourage you to send me pictures as the blog is not the same without them. Send me ideas, questions, comments, and pictures to madokis@hotmail.com. You can also like us on facebook @winelakecamp. Have a wonderful day!