Monday, July 18, 2016

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!

By Nick Karakis

Fourth of July popsicle made by Macy Karakis


Let’s start with the bad as I always like to get that out of the way first.


This week will go down as one of the most tumultuous weeks I have had this season. It felt as each day brought some new and unexpected challenge that we had to meet head on. 


The week started out just like most weeks in the bush with delays.  The part to fix the lodge solar system is nowhere to be found.  What started off as one week with no power has now turned into two.  I was always told I was in the dark now I truly am.


Next my daughter Madison that has been up at camp with me for the last two plus months,  decided to go home early for a prior engagement.  She was able to get a ride home instead of flying so she took the opportunity and left a week before I was expecting.  This quick exit led to me cover many more duties than I had expected and has kept me running ever since.



Then there was Wednesday, tournament day, always fun right?  Wrong!  The guests spent the day having a good time fishing, and trying to catch just the right combination of fish for the tournament. At precisely 3pm all boats had to be at the dock for weigh in.  At 3:05 we had an unexpected late arrival.  It was the MNR or the Ministry of Natural Resources.  We quickly learned that our event would be delayed for quite a while as they inspected each freezer, stringer and boat.  Then, they let everyone know that alcohol of any kind was not allowed in boats and they will give out tickets for it.  They also ended up writing a ticket to one group of guests for having their contest fish on the stringer and their limit in the freezer. Even though the ones on the stringer were to be eaten for dinner.  Simple mistake but a costly one, lesson learned.
*Note from Maddie*
***********To the boys who I scolded for having bottles in there boat this is why! You never know when they will show up! Also a tip with limits: Wait until closer to the day you are leaving to stock your freezer with fish to take home. This will decrease the chance of you breaking a law and getting a fine. We love that you like to take fish home to friends and family, just be responsible for it! Thank you, and lesson learned I hope. *******************************************************  
Finally, around 4:15 we got to our ice cream and brownies.  Though a little subdued we made the most of it.




 
On Thursday we had a guest who had a problem with a motor that had to be replaced.  No a big deal but when 25 miles back in the bush a 2-hundred-pound motor is no easy thing to portage in, replace and portage out the broken one.

To start off on the good news side the new staff cabin is coming along nicely.  We now have it framed and roofed.  The next step will be putting up the log siding that is on order. 

We also put in a new boat lift to help with Friday boat cleanings so I can try to not have back problems every week as boat cleaning is one of the most physical chores we do.



We had a young man by the name of Hunter who caught his first fish, and added to the total with a 22” walleye.  Way to go Hunter.
The fishing was not great as we entered into July but good enough to make sure everyone had enough fish to eat and take home if they felt inclined.  We caught many big fish with at least dozen walleye over 25”, several lake trout over 30” and lots of pike in that 30’-40’ range.  We had two young girls in camp this week that could really fish.  They caught multiple pike over 35” and several trout over 30”.  It was impressive to watch.



We had 4 gentlemen in the moose who went by the name the Meeces (Named themselves).  They celebrated the 53rd birthday of their leader, Pat, while here and Karen, one our staff, made him a birthday cake (yes even in the bush we can celebrate birthdays in style).  They enjoyed the week relaxing in the evening after long days of fishing by drinking beer brewed by their homes in Colorado and even shared a few with me.  Thanks guys! (Just so you know, Maddie made sure you got your mention!)



This brings us to UGLY




As all the guests were helping out, (really great people who worked their butts off getting everyone over the portage) move boats out of Wine Lake, I noticed 2 gentlemen getting really close to the falls.  Pre-occupied with something in their boat they did not notice they were about to take a 3-5 second ride unlike any they have taken for quite some time.  As I yelled at them to hold on their boat was set shooting straight down the falls into the biggest part of white water the portage has to offer.  With help from above, bruised buts and egos, they came out the other end wet,  but OK (thank goodness).  I know my heart rate was elevated but nothing like theirs.  I did tell the I was angry that they got to run the falls before I did.  Not finding much humor in it, they just smiled.  Glad they are OK.

***********************************************************************************
WOW! It was an exciting week at WLC! I can not believe I missed it. But things come up and a ride home with my uncle was a lot cheaper than a $400 plane ticket. It was pretty funny to see the surprise on dad's face when I told him at 3pm that I was leaving at 5:30 the next morning. Sorry dad! I also want to apologize to the group I left. I was really looking forward to getting to know you. You would have been a great group to write about so it was very hard to leave. And to the groups I won't get to meet, I guess you will just have to come back next year so you can meet me! It is probably a good thing though because I heard the lodge is packed with testosterone this week. I think I am safer at home!


Now even though I have missed out on a lot of excitement at Wine Lake, we are not lacking ANY excitement here either. I as well have some good, bad and ugly!

The Bad:
       Being home has been exhausting. I have been sleeping on the couch because I have yet to get the motivation to clean my room. Since I was home from college four days before leaving for Canada my entire dorm room is in boxes and bags. You can't even see my bed. I have been scrambling to fit in 7 doctors appointments while I am home so I can have my medications when I got back as well. I have gotten some sunburn as well! The crazy part has been the storms! The summer had been pretty quiet until I got home. There are trees down everywhere! The worst though was having to leave my dad and my WLC family. Having two homes that are in different countries is a very difficult thing, but I packed up and journeyed back to the states.



Just a small portion of our wonderfully supportive family.




Next the Good:
             Being home has been great as well. I have my wonderful animals back. I will only torture you with pictures of two of the eight. And I can drive again! After being stuck in the middle of no where for two months the freedom of a car is a wonderful thing!

My baby Oscar

Reese our "Camp Dog"

The first day back I was welcomed with a trip to the zoo! One of the most exciting things was the fact I was able to surprise my neighbors, and come to their graduation party. I grew up with the twins next door who were practically my sisters. It was very nice to be there for them.

Micah poses at the xoo

That is just the beginning of the excitement while I am home! There are so many more things while I am home. I finally got a hair cut and a pedicure! Man that was nice. I also have my aunt's wedding, and a concert to go to. I can not wait!

Now the Ugly:
              I mentioned it had been crazy. Well a couple days after I came home we had a boy who I had gone to school with crash his car in our yard. He broke the front axel, hit our tree, and shattered his passenger window. Thank god he was okay, but our yard is a little bruised.

             I also mentioned the storms. Well while watching the storm I was able to watch another exciting event...



The wind picked up knocking the basketball hoop onto Micah's windshield. Right in front of my eyes! She cried for a bit, but we got it fixed. As long as she watches out for glass shards she will be fine! Being home has been something else for sure! As much as I love being here, I can not wait to get back. I hope everyone enjoys their stay!

Even at home I am dressed for the job!