Thursday, June 2, 2016

Oh The Stories to Tell and The Things You Learn


 
“Fishing is the sport of drowning worms” -Unknown
While there is truth in these words, I must modify it a bit. The truth is, here at Wine Lake Camp: fishing is the sport of killing minnows, and kill minnows we did. This was not just through fishing. No one said running a camp was easy, but you know what else they didn’t say? DON’T OVERFLOW THE MINNOWS! Oops. As you sit there watching the minnows flop around on the dock, as well as people running around trying to catch them that is a lesson you learn quick. Well learning is a process, right? Everyone must start somewhere, and it can only get better.
              Not only was our first week of customers amazing, the lessons came from everywhere. Jeff Walker was given the opportunity to learn how to make a light using a potato from his dear “friend” Brent. Nate Walker taught me that “chivalry is not dead.” When Justin Minnis broke my Dad’s lure I learned you shouldn’t fish with Justin, and when Tyler Harmon and Joe Dudding caught crazy amounts of fish I learned you SHOULD fish with Tyler and Joe. Dr. Bob Oppman taught a lesson on how to remove fish hooks as well. While I gained a wealth of knowledge this week (whether or not most of it was, or ever will be useful is debatable) my favorite lesson came from Jay Dorsey. He taught me to always wear your glasses otherwise you might mistake a decoy for a real moose. The stories you hear at camp pave the way for endless amusement, and what would Wine Lake Camp be without some good fishing stories really?
              There were some great fish caught. Tyler caught a 40” Northern Pike his first day on the lake.

Gordon and Matt Minnis were able to net a fish that tried to eat the fish they were reeling in!



The Pike were definitely biting, but so were the Walleye. There were an endless amount of trophy walleye caught this week.




There were some really nice Lake Trout caught as well. There was a day when I was able to go out, and I caught one too!



Over all it was a truly wonderful week filled with great experiences and even greater people. It was the first time this Wine Lake Crew was able to work together, and it was a first for everything. First for the new owners, first for the customers, and first for the crew. Everyone learned how much hard work it takes to do boat washing, but the team powered through and were able to celebrate their accomplishment.


Now that first week is over, that first hurdle leaped, and we are filled with excitement at the success of the first week. Underneath it all there is still a hint of sadness. As everyone packed up and left I said goodbye to new friends. Goodbye to the people that started our journey. The people that gave us so many laughs, and the people that made us realize we made the right choice. These people helped me realize how lucky I am. Lucky to have my dad. Lucky to have met Ann and Herb. And, most of all, lucky to have found Wine Lake Camp. And, although I am sad to see my new friends leave I am also excited. Each new week brings new faces, new friends, and new experiences. They hold new chances to learn and grow, and to understand how wonderful the world around you can be. So thank you all for giving us these lessons, and for making this first week something very special. It is because of you that We Are Wine Lake.