Sunday, July 3, 2016

A Little Too Remote Maybe?


Technology... is a queer thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ~C.P. Snow, New York Times, 15 March 1971

Disclaimer: I apologize in advance. This will be a very long entry due to the fact I was unable to write one last week and it has been absolutely crazy here. I will do my best to break up the long stretches with some pictures. I hope you enjoy!

              For years Wine Lake Camp has given people a chance to get away. The ability to spend a week without rushing to your phone every time it rings, or worrying about what time you have to be home for your favorite TV show is a dream for some people. Towards the end of every week there is always someone who tells me, “You know, it has been nice to take a break from everything, but I am ready to go back.” When you live out here you can’t just go back. It has definitely been something that takes a little adjusting. It has been two months without TV, phone service, friends, driving, pets, fast food, plumbing, indoor bathrooms, unlimited power, and an actual toilet. So, okay, maybe more than a little adjusting. Now we do have phone service and Wi-Fi, but only in the lodge, and our sink has running water, but it is still different.
This it the result of trying to sit on the dock and work on art.
3 billon flies later this was all I could think to draw...


Do you think you could do it? It really is a whole different lifestyle. You are 100% dependent on what little resources you have. The most important one we have is a little bit of nifty technology called, you may have heard of it, solar power. Now honestly I hope you know what solar power is haha. It is this wonderful thing that takes energy from this beautiful floating orb we call the sun and turns it into the power that I harness to bring you this lovely blog. It is also the reason that last week I was unable to gift you with the wonderful Wine Lake News. As the quote I used this week says: technology will gift you, then stab you in the back. Well, that is exactly what happened here when the lodge solar system decided to off itself. Yes folks, I am in the middle of nowheresville with no phone service, no Wi-Fi, and no lights. Oh and we now have a refrigerator as well as a chest freezer that are slowly getting warmer. Now, let me just say it is hard to figure out what isn’t working when you can’t look up who to call, and even harder to call said person when you don’t have a phone. Sounds Like quite the predicament doesn’t it. This is where we cue the next lovely piece of technology: the generator.
The flowers this week looked particularly beautiful.



Day 2: Wahoo, the power is back! Well, at the expense of our serenity. With the wonderful electricity the generator provides comes the much less wonderful noise it makes. Because of this, we are limited to when we let it run. We leave it off till everyone is up, and turn it off at dinner time. Luckily this bit of power allows us to call someone to come fix it. When we finally found someone, the poor guy had to drive to the landing from Red Lake, and go on an hour boat ride to tell us he didn’t have the part and we would have to wait at least a week to have it flown in. Now, I’m not going to lie, the lack of reliable power has caused some tension here at WLC. I mean you would probably be pretty on edge too if someone cut the power in the middle of a phone call with your mother too. Right? Also just as I learned it is hard to call a repairman without a phone I learned it is also impossible to book a flight home without internet. Now technology must be an octopus or maybe just has an endless supply of knives because after it stabbed me in the back at least six times it still wasn’t happy.
Much in the same manner as the solar system the generator decided to take its own life. Isn’t that nice? Let’s just run to the store and get what we need to fix it and will we be good. Oh yeah, I forgot it is an entire day ordeal to go to the store! Well that is a problem isn’t it? Luckily someone was able to figure out what was wrong and we brought the dang thing back to life. Hopefully that part finds it’s way here soon before I lose my mind!
Who knew chives could be so pretty?

Now the only reason I still have my sanity is due to the fact we have encountered some truly amazing guests these past couple weeks. And the size of the fish that have been caught is unbelievable!











Al Glodt caught the biggest fish this season with his giant 44in Northern Pike!

I must say though, George Ellis was in the running with his monster fish.

               Now I was also lucky enough to make lots of new animal friends this week. My turtle, who has now been officially named Mona, has been all over camp looking for the perfect place to lay her eggs. Chip, the chipmunk will wait at the door until you bring him some sunflower seeds. I was also able to rescue another bird who stunned himself by flying into our window.




               There were some more…exotic animals this week too. They were loud, crazy, played a mean game of cards, and could be found in the moose cabin. I am just playing, they were really great, and taught me a new card game. Thankfully they continued to invite me back no matter how many times I kicked their butts! They also taught me that there really is truth to the saying that behind every great man ( or in this case group of men ) is an even greater woman, and her name is Peggy. There is no doubt that she is the pack leader, but she is also a very kind soul. I am very glad I was able to meet this group of people.



             We were also very fortunate the past couple weeks to have a few people that have been coming to Wine Lake Camp since way before I was born. It really gives me the chance to learn a lot about the history of my new home. One of these groups brought for the first time the fourth generation of their family to be a part of their WLC story! He was an adorable 16month old who went by the nickname Mr. Naughty.



              They even brought back part of an old friend to forever be a part of this wonderful place. There was never a shortage of laughs, especially when someone tried to go fishing without their gas tank…oops. We were also gifted a one of a kind “fish finder.” It now resides in the boat house and can be used upon request.












               And unfortunately as all things do, the week came to an end. We were forced to say goodbye to our new friends, but not without the promise to see them again next year. They were an incredible group, and honestly, if I had the chance I could write a 1000 page novel on this past week. But alas after 4 hours I figure I better be done. Thank you all for being wonderful, and thank you for all the new experiences you grant me every day for I am truly blessed! Remote is never a bad thing when I get to meet people like you!
Taken at 2am